Who is Chris Wood?
Born and lived almost all of my life living in the beautiful sub-tropical West Cornwall, I have spent the past thirty or so years working in property the majority of which (since May 1989) in estate agency.
In my early adulthood, like many in Cornwall, I had a varied employment experience. Consequently, my full CV includes such diverse jobs as daffodil picking, share fisherman, builder and working as a steward on a private yacht in Cannes.
A former Army reservist with over a decade of service, I deployed to Afghanistan with 3 Commando Brigade as a Rifleman on Herrick 14. I was medically evacuated back to the UK after just a few days for non-combat related reasons and have since been given an honourable medical discharge.
Since 2011, I have been very active on social media and, more latterly, have fronted the successful campaign to highlight #portaljuggling and the accompanying fraud. Since the campaign started in 2015, our group estimates that over 90% of all illegal activity has been stopped. In 2016, Portal Juggling was written into the Property Ombudsman code and received national press coverage.
A brief resume of my estate agency career to date:
MD of PDQ Estates Ltd. Consultancy, training & property sales 2000 – March 2018 – now ceased trading:
• Board level advisor to Tesco and Royal Bank of Scotland (eight months)
• Daily Telegraph top 10 small estate agency
• Campaign for Plain English Award for ‘honesty & clarity’
• Various estate agency and B2B consultancy contracts
• Market analyst advice to a Division of Standard and Poor
• National finalists’ estate agent of the year 2001 to 20013 inclusive
• Past lecturer in estate agency in at Truro business college
• Certificate in Residential Estate Agency, Whiteknights college
• Certificate of Practice in Estate Agency (i & ii), NAEA
Senior positions held with the NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents) 1991 – 2009:
• Vice President & President Elect
• An inaugural member of The Property Standards Board
• Fellow of the NAEA
• Cornwall branch chairman
• Chairman of Homelink (circa 850 offices internationally)
• Assistant business practice officer
• Member of membership & professional development committee
Media experience (as a ‘talking head’):
• BBC News 24
• BBC TV Breakfast news & ‘Today’ on Radio 4
• Independent radio (various)
• BBC 5 Live
• ITV regional news
• BBC and independent local radio
• Various trade journals
• Occasional columnist/ contributor to various journals/ newspapers
Specialties: Estate agency insight, estate agency law, customer service, media contact, social media, board level negotiations, UK estate agency, business/ ideas creation and development